Friday, May 18, 2012

Allegheny Burger Festival

Burgers. I've never known anyone to pass one up...
When Melissa Speta Anderson asked if I wanted to Judge a burger competition, how could I say no. I love a great burger and really don't dislike a bad one either.


I think deep at heart, I'm a purist. I love juicy, well seasoned, flavorful protein. It's a primal instinct. Even without the usual embellishments, I can go meat & bun and be quite happy. I'm not discounting the garnishes/sauces/spreads/sprouts/brioche/ and other peculiarities. It is a sandwich after all. It can't run around naked like a 3 year old boy. I GOT one of those. No. Let's get some pants on. A shirt, shoes, hat, tu-tu, Wubbzy undies and create somethig memorable!




First up - The Dirty Bird. This was a chipotle laden turkey burger with bacon ground into the turkey. Burger was moist and flavorful but a bit too spicy - and I like spicy. Burger had too much height to eat comfortably. Avocado was lost...

The Bastie Boys. I thought the beef was overseasoned. They use beef base and it was just too much. Homemade bun was too unforgiving and tough at times. Pickle and chips helped the presentation points.




The 75%Elk burger was too lean, overcooked and underseasoned.





Bastie Boys Porker - seasoned ground pork, mango/corn/black bean salsa, jalapeno bun. Same bun issue - too hard. Flavor profile was my favorite with the sweet mango playing off the jalapeno without dominating the pork burger which was cooked perfectly.





DAY 2 awaits and I will be tasked with judging 8 burgers from professional vendors. Then I will be a week solid at Snap Fitness.

No comments:

Post a Comment